Click Play... to Listen to What I write to


Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sad News

SO I mentioned the other day that I would add a really sobering post. I'm sorry that it took me so long to get it up but this is probably one of the most distrubing things that I have addressed here in the past and given recent events do so again.

Its a critical issue that anyone who has served in OIF, OEF, the GWOT and their families have to deal with. It is in fact the elephant in this room of war that we are perpetualy engaged in.

Army Suicide Numbers have spiked at an alarming rate

On February 5th, the Army announced that it had seven confirmed suicides last month and are investigating another seventeen. They will in all probability be ruled suicides and so the Army has its highest suicide rate in one month for as long as they've been keeping records - this as a string of years of higher and higher suicide rates continues to grow. There are no details about the individuals who have lost all hope and ended it or the locations where the suicides have occurred. Fort Campbell, KT has however confirmed four suicides last month near the base. As a former Screaming Eagle - it breaks my heart,. As an Officer I feel we are letting our soldiers down. As an American, I am ashamed that the issues our soldiers face in war and after multiple deployments are a low priority in our lives.

As the husband of BBG and all of her injuries, surgeries, and struggles with PTSD and post medical retirement it is a fear that lives in us - always just under the surface. I will tell you this: we talk about it openly because I don't want to lose my babies momma. I am going to list a couple of resources below.

If you know a soldier or vet struggling to deal with life after the suck please refer them to these links - hell give them my e-mail. I'll stop whatever I'm doing and get them pointed to the right people especially if they live in the Denver Metro area.

Here's the links:

1) A great PSA from actor Gary Sinise, a true veterans advocate.



2) This is the Army's Suicide Prevention Website

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/dhpw/Readiness/suicide.aspx

3) This is the VA Suicide Website

http://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention/index.asp

and finally here is the number to the VA suicide Prevention Hotline - it is open and staffed 24/7/365.

1-800-273-TALK (8255)

We have failed every time one of our own loses all hope and see suicide as relief from their pain. Please spread the message.

TIA

Earl

3 comments:

Lori Peoria said...

Thank you for your post on suicides in our military. I am a member of Patriot Guard Riders and we have stood the flag line for 3 veterans and 1 active suicide in the past 1 1/2 years. It is something we need to speak about, it should not be the elephant in the room.
Thank you

Earl said...

SC soldiers angels - I love your posts and I can't tell you how much we appreciate what you do. I was at a friend's funeral and the riders meant more to his family than anything.

Wherever you go out there in cyberland please make sure this message gets spread. Its bad enough that we lose our brothers and sisters over there - we can't lose them here. We owe them more.

TIA

Earl

Unknown said...

As sad as it is we must discuss PTSD, thank goodness we finally understand and respect its existence! We have a long way to go, but at least we are on a path.
Thank you so very much for this post!
~AM