Click Play... to Listen to What I write to


Friday, February 13, 2009

A Me day

OK - most of this year will be dedictaed to our wounded.

Today is just me being a dad.

I need to stop being a soldier and I need to chill out. A friend from work is headed to a bikini vacation in Bali and she was telling me all about it over dinner on my recent business trip to Europe. Unintentionally, I gave her a forty five minute threat and personal security briefing. She told me today that she might not go.

oops

To make things even worse, I am sending my baby girl (sixteen and about to be a senior in high school) off to China for a month of language emersion this coming summer. I was on the phone with someone from the program's offices in Toronto today and found myself grilling her about about security issues. I probably owe her an apology but I'm going to hide behind the concerned parent excuse rather than the Army Officer and husband of messed up Iraq vet. It seems a little more normal.

You know I was getting a little excessive when BBG - the woman who wakes up screaming and starts digging in the comforter for her weapon late at night tells me to chill out.

Tomorrow, I'll tell you a little bit what happens to you after you've lived with a PTSD vet for awhile.


TIA

Earl

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't even begin to imagine walking in your shoes. My prayers are lifted for you and your family.

~AM

Earl said...

Thanks for the prayers - send valium!

Earl